YAMATOKAMI YASUSADA(大和守安定) was a Japanese swordsmith in Musashi province.
- Edo period.
- Izumikami Kaneshige(和泉守兼重)
- Echizen Yasutsugu 2nd(二代越前康継)
Shape : Tapered blade, a shallow SORI(反り) and a small KISSAKI(切先).
Hada : Finely-grained MOKUME-HADA(杢目肌). MASAME-HADA(柾目肌) apparent on SHINOGI-JI(鎬地).
Hamon : NIE-DEKI(沸出来), large NOTARE(のたれ) or pointed GUNOME(互の目).
Boshi : JIZO(地蔵) or KO-MARU(小丸).
Other : SAIDAN-MEI(裁断銘).
- Yamatokami Yasusada was known for making the highly-sharpened swords and he was rated at the Ryo-WAZAMONO(良業物). Most of his swords have the Saidan-mei inscribed into the NAKAGO(茎).
- His swords were very popular among swordsmen of the time for its high cutting ability. Even some famous swordsmen were known to possess his swords namely; Okita Soji(沖田総司), Iba Hachiro(伊庭八郎) and Oishi Kurajiro(大石鍬次郎).
- His birthplace is still uncertain, One theory says that he was born in Sekido of Kii province but his swords don’t have the characteristics of the OSAKA ISHIDO SCHOOL(大阪石堂派).