What is Wazamono(業物)?
- Wazamono refers to the swordsmiths, who made well-sharpened swords. These are listed in the book called Kaiho Kenjaku(懐宝剣尺) written by a sword tester, 5th generation Yamada Asauemon(五代目山田浅右衞門). He tested the cutting ability of the swords from Koto to Shinshinto and rated them in 4 groups of sharpness, which is as follows:
- Saijo O-wazamono (Outstanding cutting swords)
- O-wazamono (Excellent cutting swords)
- Ryo-wazamono (Great cutting swords)
- Wazamono (Good cutting swords)
- The list was made by testing the cutting ability of a sword on the dead bodies of criminals. In order to test accurately, all the tested bodies were muscular males aged between 40 to 50 years old.