What is Wazamono(業物)?
- Wazamono refers to the swordsmiths or their swords listed in the book called Kaiho Kenjaku(懐宝剣尺) written by a sword tester, Yamada Asauemon the 5th generation (五代目山田浅右衞門). The swords were tested for its cutting ability and rated in 4 groups of sharpness, which is as follows:
- Saijo O-wazamono (Outstanding cutting swords)
- O-wazamono (Excellent cutting swords)
- Ryo-wazamono (Great cutting swords)
- Wazamono (Good cutting swords)
- The test was conducted by cutting the dead bodies of criminals with a sword. In order to conduct the test accurately, all the tested bodies are said to have been muscular males aged between 40 to 50 years old.