What is Sumigomori(炭籠り)? Sumigomori, which literally means “Charcoal Left Inside”, refers to the tiny hole or hollow in the blade. The hole is a mark of a fragment of charcoal and [...]


What is Saiha(再刃)? Saiha, also pronounced Saiba, refers to the re-hardening of the cutting edge of a sword to make a new HAMON(刃文). This technique is used to restore a damaged sword which has [...]


What is Hagire(刃切れ) ? Hagire refers to a cracks in the HAMON(刃文) perpendicular to the cutting edge. Usually it’s very difficult to see, you cannot see it under a poor light. If a crack is [...]


What is Fukure(脹れ) ? Fukure refers to a blister like swelling on the sword. It results from the insufficient forging in sword making process. 


What is Umegane(埋め金) ? Umegane refers to the steel patch filling a pit or a hole in a sword. Some people consider it a critical flaw, but there’re some swords with Umegane designated to an [...]


What is Kitae-Ware(鍛え割れ)? Kitae-Ware, or simply Ware, refers to a tear or a pitting in a sword. It results from the insufficient forging in sword making process. Novice collectors tends to take [...]

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search