What is Midare(乱れ)? Midare refers to a curvy HAMON(刃文) being not well-arranged and having parts of different shapes or sizes. O(large) or Ko(small) is often used to describe the degree of Midare. [...]

Hamon and Durability

Some collectors have the impression that the HAMON(刃文) is closely related to the cutting ability but it’s not. If anything the Hamon has something to do with the durability. The hardened [...]


What is Juzu-Ba(数珠刃)? Juzu-Ba refers to the rounded GUNOME(互の目) developed by a well-known swordsmith Kotetsu(虎徹), which reminds of Buddhist prayer beads. 


What is Hyotan-Ba(瓢箪刃)? Hyotan-Ba refers to the NOTARE(のたれ) which reminds of the half of a gourd. This Hamon is developed by a well-known swordsmith Kotetsu(虎徹).


What is Hakoba(箱刃)? Hakoba refers to the boxy GUNOME(互の目). This Hamon is often seen in the swords by Muramasa(村正) or Kanewaka(兼若).


What is Saka-Choji(逆丁子)? Saka-Choji refers to the CHOJI(丁子) slanting upward. The Hamon is often seen in the swords made in Bizen province around Kamakura to Nanbokucho period.


What is Saiha(再刃)? Saiha, which is also called as Saiba, refers to the re-hardening of the cutting edge of a sword in order to make a new HAMON(刃文). This technique is used to restore a damaged [...]


What is Mizukage(水影)? Mizukage refers to an UTSURI(映り), which starts at the HA-MACHI(刃区) at the angle of 45 degrees and goes toward the back of the sword. It is only seen in certain smiths’ [...]


What is Kobushi-Choji(拳丁子)? Kobushi-Choji, also known as  Kobushigata-Choji(拳形丁子), refers to the CHOJI(丁子) developed by Kawachi-kami Kunisuke 2nd generation(河内守国助二代), which resembles clenched fists.