NAKAJIMA RAI SCHOOL(中島来派)
NAKAJIMA RAI SCHOOL(中島来派) was a Japanese sword school founded by Kuninaga (国長) at Nakajima of Settsu province.
- Settsu province (Osaka prefecture today)
- Kamakura period to Nanbokucho period.
Famous Swordsmiths from the school
- Kuninaga(国長)*school founder.
Shape : TACHI(太刀) or TANTO (短刀). Wide blade, IKUBI-KISSAKI(猪首切先), TORII-SORI(鳥居反り).
Hada : Rough ITAME-HADA(板目肌) mixed with MASAME-HADA(柾目肌).
Hamon : NIE-DEKI(沸出来), SUGUHA(直刃) or NOTARE(のたれ).
Boshi : HAKIKAKE(掃掛け), YAKIZUME(焼詰) or MIDARE-KOMI(乱れ込み).
- The founder Kuninaga was one of the famous smiths of the RAI SCHOOL(来派). Around 1330, the smith moved to Nakajima of Settsu province where he founded the Nakajima Rai school.
- Kuninaga is said to have been a son or a student of Kunitoshi(国俊) from the Rai school.