MOTOHIRA (元平) was the Japanese swordsmith in Satsuma province.
- Satsuma province (Kagoshima prefecture today)
- AD 1744-1826
- HOUKI-KAMI MASAYUKI(伯耆守正幸)
- Oku Motonao(奥元直) *father of the smith.
- Mototake(元武) *young brother of the smith.
- Motoyasu(元安) *young brother of the smith.
Shape : Wide and thick but tapered blade which is called Motohira-sugata(元平姿) .
Hada : ITAME-HADA(板目肌), CHIKEI(地景).
Hamon : Rough NIE-DEKI(沸出来),Pointed GUNOME(互の目) mixed with NOTARE(のたれ), KINSUJI(金筋), SUNAGASHI(砂流し).
Other : KATANA(刀)has MEI(銘) carved into the back side, while WAKIZASHI (脇差) and TANTO (短刀) have it the other side.
- With Houki-kami Masayuki(伯耆守正幸), Motohira was a guru in Satsuma province during Shinshinto period.
- At the age of 45, he received the ZURYOUMEI(受領名) of Yamato-kami(大和守), and since then, he started inscribing his signature of “Oku Yamato-kami Taira Ason Motohira”(奥大和守平朝臣元平).
- The smith was well-known among the swordsmiths of the time already, some famous smiths, namely Bizen Sukehira(備前祐平) and Sumi Motooki(角元興) came all the way to Satsuma province to be his apprentice.