MIZUTA SCHOOL(水田派) was a Japanese sword school founded by Tatsubo Kunishige(辰房国重) in Mizuta of Bizen province.
- The end of the Muromachi period to Edo period
Famous Swordsmiths from the school
- Otsuki Gen(大月源) * the first-ever female smith.
- Otsuki Saburozaemon(大月三郎左衛門)
- Otsuki Yogoro(大月与五郎)
- Tatsubo Kunishige(辰房国重)
Shape : Tapered blade with shallow SORI(反り).
Hada : Very tight-grained NASHIJI-HADA(梨子地肌), the Hada pattern is not discernible.
Hamon : NIE-DEKI(沸出来), partially pointed NOTARE(のたれ) or GUNOME(互の目), SUGUHA(直刃) with SUNAGASHI(砂流し), HITATSURA(皆焼).
Boshi : ICHIMAI BOSHI(一枚帽子) or MIDARE-KOMI(乱れ込み).
- The origin of the Mizuta school remain unclear but the school founder is believed to have been a descendant of Tametsugu(為次) of the AOE SCHOOL(青江派).
- All smiths of the school used the signature of Kunishige(国重) instead of their name,
- The total number of the smith reached nearly 80.