GASSAN SCHOOL(月山派) was a Japanese sword school founded by Oniomaru(鬼王丸) at the foot of Mt. Gassan in Dewa province.
- Ko Gassan : The Kamakura to Muromachi period.
- Osaka Gassan : The end of the Edo period to the present.
Famous Swordsmiths from the school
- One theory says that the Gassan school already existed in the Heian period but there are no extant their swords of the time. So that the popular theory is the school was founded at the Kamakura period and the smiths of the school started inscribing the name of “Gassan” from the Muromachi period.
- As the peaceful Edo period came, the school experienced one end to its era, but at the end of the Edo period, a descendant of the school GASSAN SADAYOSHI(月山貞吉) revived the school in Settsu province(Osaka prefecture today) and the school continues until today.
- Their swords made until the Muromachi period are often referred to as “Ko Gassan(古月山)” in order to distinguish them from the revival era swords. The revival swords are sometimes referred to as Osaka Gassan(大阪月山) also, because of its birthplace.