DOTANUKI SCHOOL(同田貫派) was a Japanese sword school founded by Masakuni(正国) in Higo province.
- Muromachi period to Edo period
Famous Swordsmiths from the school
- Masakuni(正国)*school founder, also known as Uenosuke(上野介)
- The school developed from the ENJU SCHOOL(延寿派) around the Muromachi period; Tenbun era(ca 1532-1555).
- The school’s swords from the Koto period have both the smith name and the school name inscribed into the NAKAGO(茎). However, their swords from the Shinto era and the Shinshinto era have the school name only.
- Dotanuki school swords receive high acclaim for its highly-cutting ability. But their swords are often considered of less artistic value. In fact, there’s only 2 Dotanuki school Katana designated as NBTHK Juyo Token so far.
- Their swords are still popular even now, the popularity is said to be boosted by the Manga called “Lone Wolf and Cub” and the anecdote that the swordsman Sakakibara Kenkichi(榊原健吉) cut a Kabuto helmet into the half with a Dotanuki sword.