AOE SCHOOL(青江派) was a Japanese sword school founded by Moritsugu(守次) in Bitchu province.
- Late Heian (1120-1293) to Muromachi period (1336-1573)
Famous Swordsmiths from the school
Shape : KOSHI-SORI(反り)
Hada : Fine grained ITAME-HADA(板目肌) mixed with MOKUME-HADA(杢目肌), this is called CHIRIMEN-HADA(縮緬肌).
Hamon : NIE-DEKI(沸出来), tight NIOIKUCHI(匂口). SUGUHA(直刃) or SAKA-CHOJI(逆丁子).
Boshi : KO-MARU(小丸)
Others : O-SUJIKAI(大筋違).
- The Aoe school’s swords are categorized into 3 classifications by age; Ko-Aoe (古青江) swords made 1120-1293, Chu-Aoe (中青江) swords made 1239-1392, and Sue-Aoe (末青江) swords made 1336-1573.
- Bitchu province, where the school was located, had an abundant supply of high-quality iron sand.
- Unlike other sword schools in the area, the Aoe school swords display some characteristics of the YAMASHIRO Tradition(山城伝).
- The smiths of the school inscribed their signature in a different way from other schools, they usually inscribed only two character signature, they didn’t inscribe the name of the school and the place they lived. Also regardless of the sword type, they inscribed the signature into the backside of the NAKAGO(茎).